Making your own Homemade Sausages in the comfort of your own kitchen can be a really exciting process for anyone who loves them and wants to know the exact ingredients in them. Now you can add your own flavors and meats to create the perfect combinations.
Steve of Steve’s Kitchen is here to show us how to make the best homemade Sausages from beginning to end.
Homemade Sausage Ingredients
- 2kg / 4lb of Pork including some Fat
- 2 Tablespoons of Salt
- 1/2 a teaspoon of Black Pepper
- 1/2 a teaspoon of Nutmeg
- 3 Tablespoons of Sage
- 1 Tablespoon of Thyme
- I used fresh Herbs in my sausages.
- Spice them up with whatever you like.
Homemade Sausage Video Tutorial
Steve is in the house to show us all the secrets to the most delicious Sausages ever! You’ll need a meat grinder or some ground meat.
You’ll along need some Sausage Casing. As Steve mentions in the video, you’ll also need an assistant. Click play above to watch the quick video ^
How To Make Homemade Sausage At Home
How to make Sausages at Home
Prep Time: 30 Minutes once you get the hang on each Technic
Homemade Sausage Instructions
- To begin to make sausages you need to prepare the meat to be minced. You can either ask your friendly butcher if he will do this for you if you don’t have a meat grinder or grind it yourself.
- To prepare for grinding you will want to cut the meat into pieces that will fit in the shoot of your grinder.
- Then using a coarse setting push the meat (and the extra fat if you are using some) through the grinder into a big bowl.
- Once the all the meat has been processed I clean the remaining meat out of the machine by pushing through a slice or two of bread. This clears all of the meat out of the machine and it doesn’t harm the sausages to have a little bit of bread in them.
- Now is the time to add all the herbs and spices. Stir into the meat.
- At this point, you can check to see if you have the right amount of flavor in your sausage, by taking a small patty of the meat and frying it in a pan. Taste it and adjust any seasonings that you may feel the sausages need.
- What you taste now is the final flavors of your sausages.
- Prepare whatever machine you have for stuffing your sausages.
- Place the skins onto the end nozzle and gently fill with your prepared sausage meat.
- I let the filled casings fall onto a large tray as this makes them easier to move around.
- Tie a knot at the end of the casing once it is full.
- Don’t overfill the casings and take your time it does get quicker and easier the more that you make.
- I think to learn how to twist into sausage links it would probably be easier to watch the video as I think I may confuse you if I attempt to write it all down here. I start to twist into sausage links at about the 7-minute mark of the video.
- Once you have your sausages all nicely twisted divide into portions and wrap in cling wrap. I always make lots of sausages when I make a batch and freeze my them. That way I always have sausages in the freezer when I want them.
- If you make different flavored sausages don’t forget to label them before placing them in the freezer or you may just have to take ‘pot luck’ when you come to use them for a meal! Want more Steve? Check out all his recipes here