This Rainbow Ice Cream Cake is a feast for the eyes as well as the tastebuds! Make it your favorite colors and enjoy.
You absolutely can make this amazing looking Rainbow Ice Cream Cake thanks to WHOot Contributor Steve from Steve’s kitchen.
He breaks down each step so you can wow your family and friends with your kitchen prowess and it would be ideal for a Unicorn Party.
You could customize this cake a little by changing up the colors, you can even top it with some fancy chocolate shards or anything else that you can dream up! One thing’s for sure it’s a show stopper!
Rainbow Ice Cream Cake Recipe Ingredients
For each Layer (Steve made 6 layers)
- 120g / 4oz Thick Whipping Cream
- 60g /2 oz of Condensed Milk
- Food Colouring
- Flavouring, if desired
- Thin Layer Of Sponge Cake for the base of the cake
- Hundreds and Thousands, Sprinkles, for the top
- Loaf Tin size : 9inch x 5inch / 23cm x 13cm
Rainbow Ice Cream Cake Recipe Video
Steve is in the house to show us how to make his legendary Rainbow Ice Cream Cake and you won’t believe how easy it can be. We highly recommend you view for lots of clever tips. Click play above ^
How To Make Rainbow Ice Cream Cake
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Freezing Time: At least 5 Hours
Servings: 8 – 12
Loaf Tin size : 9inch x 5inch / 23cm x 13cm
Rainbow Ice Cream Cake Instructions
- For each layer of the rainbow cake, you need to make one layer or ice cream. I make each color separately as I find it makes it easier.
- To start with taking a loaf tin and line it with some waxed paper. I find it easier to brush a little oil onto the tin and then ‘stick’ the waxed paper to the oil, this holds the paper in place. So for each layer, you need to place the cream and condensed milk into a bowl.
- Using a hand whisk or stand mixer whisk the cream and milk together until they form soft peaks.
- Add a few drops of food coloring and flavoring and mix it through thoroughly.
- Pour the mix into the prepared loaf tin and using the back of a spoon make it as smooth and flat as possible.
- Place the tin in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Remove and before adding the next layer use a spatula to flatten and smooth the ice cream.
- Repeat steps 4 to 8 for each color. I made six layers using Pink, Blue, Green, Yellow, Purple, and red.
- Once the last layer has been added to the tin and before you place it in the freezer, take the sponge cake and cut it to the same size as the loaf tin. Lay the sponge cake on to the wet cream mixture and press it gently but firmly in place.
- Now place the loaf tin into the freezer to completely set for at least 2 hours. I left mine overnight.Once it has set completely remove from the freezer and tip the cake out of the loaf tin.
- The sponge should now be the base of the cake.
- Sprinkle hundreds and thousands over the top. I used a spoon to push them gently into the ice cream so they didn’t fall off as soon as a slice was cut.
- Using a sharp knife trim each side of the cake to allow the layers to show through nice and clear.