There’s no secret that when it comes to incredible homemade slices, Phoodie’s blog is the place to look! When we spotted this Lemon Slice, we just knew you’d love to try.
Made with a lemon cream top and a yummy biscuit base, this slice tastes better than a slice of lemon pie. The iced topping just finishes it off perfectly and takes it to the next level.
The best part, you won’t be needing your oven. In fact, the recipe is made using your stovetop and your fridge.
Lemon Slice Bars Ingredients
Makes a 28cm x 35 cm tray of slice)
- 1 cup condensed milk
- 220g (7.7oz) butter
- 450g (15.8oz) Arnott’s Nice biscuits (or any other plain sweet cookie)
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- The rind from 3 lemons
- 4 1/2 cups icing sugar mixture
- 90g (3.17oz) butter – room temp
- The juice of 2 lemons (3 if you want an extra hit!)
Lemon Slice Bars Instructions
1) Process the biscuits until they reach sand-like consistency, place them in a bowl with the coconut and lemon rind.
2) Over a low heat, melt together the condensed milk and the butter. Once well-combined pour over biscuit mixture and stir well. This will form the base of your slice.
3) Using the tips of your fingers, push biscuit mixture into baking paper lined dish (dish to be at least 5 cm high) and place in the fridge to set for at least 1 hour.
4) To make the topping, combine the icing sugar (sifted), butter and lemon juice in a bowl. You can use a large cooking spoon or your (super clean) fingers to do this. You want this to be toothpaste consistency. If too runny, add more icing sugar, if too dry, add more water or lemon juice.
5) Spread this over the biscuit base and sprinkle with desiccated coconut. Place back into the fridge to set (at least another hour)
Slice, serve and cry from deliciousness!
More Phoodie Recipes To Try
Phoodie is a valuable contributor to our site and we’d love you to follow her on Facebook.