This classic holiday cookie is certainly a favorite and we’re so glad to have Whoot contributor show us how to make it today! Steve from Steve’s Kitchen is sharing how to make the best Thumbprint Cookies.
This delicious cookie is topped with a flavor of your choice! Steve suggests using jam, Nutella or even lemon curd.
You can also roll these cookies in your choice of nuts or sprinkles or fill them with a single chocolate chip!
Thumbprint Cookies Ingredients
- 110g /1 stick / 1/2 a cup of Unsalted Butter
- 100g / 3.5 oz / 1/4 of a cup of Sugar
- 1 Egg Yolk
- A Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 a teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
- 125g / 1 cup of All-Purpose Flour
- Hazelnuts, chopped to coat
- Jam, to fill
Thumbprint Cookies Recipe Video
Steve will walk you through every step of baking these cookies. You’ll shape a ball of dough, roll it into delicious crushed nuts and finally use your thumbprint to make a nice center for your filling! Click play above to watch now ^
How To Make Thumbprint Cookies
How to make Thumbprint Cookies
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
Oven Temperature: 180C / 350F
Thumbprint Cookies Recipe Instructions
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg yolk, salt and vanilla extract and mix thoroughly. Then add the flour and mix until you have a soft smooth cookie dough.
- Take a tablespoon of the dough and roll into 1 inch balls and then roll each ball in the hazelnuts to coat them completely.
Place the ball onto a cookie sheet and using your thumb press gently to create a cavity for the Jam.
Repeat steps 3-5 until you have formed all the cookies.
Place a teaspoon of jam into the center of each cookie.
Place in the fridge for 10 minutes just to chill a little. This helps the cookie to keep its shape.
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 350F and bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly golden brown.Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool. Remember the jam will be scalding hot so be careful.
Once cooled dust with powdered sugar and your cookies are ready to be enjoyed.