This post contains affiliate links. Our disclosure policy.
When it comes to washing our hair, we all love that squeaky clean feel our favorite shampoos give us! There is a downside though!
Have you ever taken a closer look at what is actually inside that shampoo bottle? The reality is that any nasty hair conditions that you have like dandruff, dry and damaged hair and an itchy scalp are likely to be a direct result of the products you are using.
Shampoo is made up of many different chemicals and that lovely fragrance comes at a high price to your hairs health too. There is a reason that everyone is going green. The good news is that you can achieve outstanding results with simple Pantry staples. Baking Soda, for example, is something that can be of enormous benefit.
One look at the infographic above and you can see that Baking Soda stars in 3 of the recipes that are recommended for hair nourishment, hair growth and also for relieving dandruff.
Baking Soda has many additional beauty benefits too. It can be used in teeth whitening, it makes an excellent body srub, it is great for reducing fungal infection and it softens your skin too. It also is brilliant for tightening your pores.
When it comes to your hair, Baking Soda really excels. As we mentioned previously there are a number of ways that it can assist with flaky scalps and dandruff.
The infographic above shows 7 ways you can use Baking Soda to treat and eradicate this embarrassing complaint. You can use Tea Tree Oil, Lemon, Apple Cider Vinegar, Coconut Oil, Ginger and even Olive Oil. They all pair well with Baking Soda.
Another great use for Baking Soda when it comes to your hair is that it can give you a literal mega shine. If you wash your hair with Baking Soda and then rinse with vinegar, you are going to be amazed at how good your hair looks.
The best part of this process is that it strips all the build up that accumulates on your scalp as a result of products. If you use hairspray every day or even a few times a week, it will take its toll.
After a time your hair will become weighted down and it will appear lifeless and dull. By regularly detoxing your scalp and hair, you will keep on top of this issue. The result will be much more manageable hair that is shiny and healthy.
Baking Soda Scalp Detox Video Tutorial
We have included a video that shows you the process for making the Baking Soda Shampoo and Vinegar Rinse. Click Play above ^
It’s important to remember that this style of shampooing is quite different to what you are used to. There is no rich lather or wonderful scent. It won’t strip your hair of natural oils like the usual versions do. It may feel strange at first but it is so effective that you’ll only need to wash your hair every 2-3 days.
Baking Soda Hair Wash
1) Mix 1 part baking soda with 3 parts water. For shoulder length hair that is usually about 2-3 tablespoons of soda with 6-9 tablespoons of water.
2) Pour the baking soda mixture over hair using a squirt bottle. Begin at the roots and work it into the ends.
3) Let the mixture sit for 1-3 minutes.
You can also follow this up with a vinegar rinse for extra shine and volume.
Detoxing & Shine Enhancing Vinegar Rinse
1) Mix 1 part apple cider vinegar with 4 parts water. If you’d like to get rid of that vinegar smell you can also add a few drops of essential oils. Mix it all together in a squeeze bottle.
2) Tilt back your head and spread the rinse through your hair, putting a little extra over the ends. Try to avoid getting it in your eyes.
3) Wait a few seconds then rinse with cold water. The cold will help seal your hair’s moisture in while adding a bit of natural shine. It can also help tame frizz.