If your garden is your sanctuary, the last thing that you want is your plants being ravaged. We have rounded up this handy collection of homemade Pest Control recipes and they will save you money.
Many of them are natural which means you can lose the chemicals which is so much better for your family, pets and the environment in general.
Easy, Safe Kitchen Pantry Remedies
via Huffington Post
These recipes from the Huffington Post are a great place to start. We love the fact that you can use items from your kitchen like eggshells for slugs and Castile Soap for Aphids, Spider, and White Flies. Who would have thought that Beer was also great for Snails?
If you have fungus, Baking Soda works a treat. Hot Peppers and Ginger is also good for pests and repels rodents also. As you can see, not a nasty chemical to be found.
DIY Pest Control Recipes
When it comes to controlling pests, it’s important to get to the source as shown by this infographic from Visual.ly.
Wiping down your countertops with 1 part vinegar to 1 part water, and sealing up foods in airtight containers will greatly reduce the attraction. Leaky taps also encourage unwanted visitors.
Homemade Pest Control Recipe Video
We have included a video tutorial that shows you how to make your own natural Pesticides at home. We have listed the recipes and ingredients below.
We highly recommend that you watch the video, this way you will achieve the best possible results. To view, click Play above to now ^
Homemade Garden Pesticide:
Neem has properties that disrupt the hormonal balance in insects and stops them from eating and breeding. The essential oils used in this pesticide have also been found to repel insects
- 1. Add 2 liters of water in a big spray bottle
- 2. Add to it 2 tbsp of neem oil
- 3. Add ½ tsp rosemary essential oil
- 4. Add ½ tsp lavender essential oil
- 5. Close the bottle
- 6. Your spray is ready
Do make sure to spray this pesticide on all parts of the plants and keep shaking the bottle as you use it, so the water and oil are always well blended.
Garlic, Onion & Cayenne Pepper Recipe
- 1. Take 2 cups of warm water in a blender
- 2. Add 2 whole cloves of organic garlic
- 3. Add 1 roughly chopped organic onion
- 4. Add to it 2 organic cayenne peppers or organic red chilies.
- 5. Now blend them well to make a puree
- 6. Pour this mixture in a bottle and leave it for 2 days
- 7. Strain the liquid and store it in a refrigerator
- 8. Take 1 part of the mixture in a spray bottle
- 9. Dilute it with 5 parts of water
- 10. Your spray is ready
** Ensure the liquid that you store in your fridge doesn’t get mixed up with your consumables.
Homemade Pesticide Tips:
• Remove any infected or rotten leaves before spraying a pesticide
• Use good quality soil
Bug Repellant Infographics
We have also included these excellent recipes from Step Into My Green World and you will find some terrific tips and tricks here. Bugs apparently hate the smell of Basil. It’s a natural repellant.
Try planting fresh basil around the foundation of your house, inside your window sills, and the front patio areas.