This classic Caramel Slice recipe is sure to please everyone’s palate and satiate all sweet tooths! Phoodie is sharing her sister-in-law’s favorite recipe and it’s a keeper!
This old fashioned favorite has a biscuit base and topped with a generous share of caramel and just the perfect amount of milk chocolate.
Caramel Slice Recipe Ingredients
- 1 Cup (150g/5.3oz) Plain (All Purpose) Flour, Sifted
- ½ Cup (40g/1.4oz) Desiccated Coconut
- 125g/4.4oz Unsalted Butter, Melted
- ½ Cup (90g/3oz) Brown Sugar
Caramel Filling Ingredients
- 125g /4.4oz Unsalted Butter, Chopped
- 2 X 395g/14oz Cans Sweetened Condensed Milk
- ⅓ CUP (115g/4oz) Golden Syrup
Chocolate Topping Ingredients
- 200g/7oz Dark Chocolate, Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil
Phoodie’s Tips For A Perfect Slice
Phoodie’s sister-in-law Jackie makes these squares regularly. By following her tips, you’ll get a perfect result every time.
- You can double the recipe and use two 20x20cm (8×8-inch) baking trays.
- Always use salted butter.
- Use milk chocolate instead of the dark chocolate the recipe calls for.
- Make sure the biscuit base browns when baking it. This will give it that perfect crunch!
- Be sure to bake the caramel in the oven until it is a dark golden color. This will intensify the caramel flavor.
Caramel Slice Recipe Instructions
Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Mix the flour, coconut, butter, and sugar in a bowl. Pour the mixture into the base of a 20x30cm pan with non-stick baking paper.
Press down with the back of a spoon to flatten. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes.
While the base is cooking, make the caramel filling. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix the butter, condensed milk, and golden syrup.
Whisk continuously for 5-7 minutes, until the mixture has thickened slightly. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom of the pan often so the mixture does not stick.
Pout the caramel over the cooked base and spread evenly using a spatula. Cook for 15-20 minutes until golden. Cool slightly on the counter, then put it in the fridge until it’s cold.
Now you’ll make the chocolate topping. Put the chocolate and oil in a heatproof bowl over a pot of simmering water.
Stir until the chocolate is melted and smooth. Pour the chocolate over the caramel mixture.
Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or until firm. Cut into squares or bars before serving.