Our WHOot Contributor, John DeCaux is back today to share his hugely popular Cast Iron Spiral Potatoes with us and you are going to be glad that he does! It’s a keeper on every level ..
This is the perfect for Grilling season and whilst John makes his on the Weber, you can also make them on your Stove if you prefer. Either way you are going to love the results!
Cast Iron Spiral Potatoes Video
This is an incredibly easy recipe and it will look great on your table. Serve it straight from the Skillet for added presentation!
Don’t forget a big dollop of Sour Cream in the middle. Of course, you can switch this recipe up.
John has used Spring Onions and Bacon in his but the reality is, anything goes. You can have fun with lots of different flavors.
John has also included a video tutorial to step you through the process. Click Play above to watch him now ^
Cast Iron Spiral Potatoes Recipe
- 5 to 6 Potatoes
- Ground fresh Salt & Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Onion Powder
- 2 Tbsp Dried Rosemary
- 2 Tbsp Dired Thyme
- 2 Tbsp Sweet Paprika
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- Olive Oil
- Spring Onions
- Grated Cheese
- Sour Cream
How To Make Cast Iron Spiral Potatoes
Cut the potatoes into slice about a ¼ of an inch thick or half a cm.
Place them into a large mixing bowl.
Season the potatoes:
- Salt and pepper
- 2Tbsp onion powder
- 2 Tbsp Dried Rosemary
- 2 Tbsp dried thyme.
- 2 Tbsp sweet paprika.
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic.
- Olive oil to help the seasoning stick to the potatoes
Spiral Potatoes Method
- Mix the potatoes through the seasoning, make sure they become fully coated.
- In a cast iron pan, places the first potato, holding it in place add the second potato and so on.
- Follow the line of potatoes around until they meet in the middle.
- Place one in the centre to finish.
- Have your BBQ/OVEN sitting at a temp of 400f or 205c.
- Cook them for 40 minutes.
- Cut the bacon into cubes.
- The potatoes have been cooking for 40 minutes and have begun to soften.
- Place the bacon on top, try and place any fat pieces in-between the potatoes.
- Cover and cook for another 20 minutes.
- To make this dish even better we are going to top it off with some grated cheese.
- Don’t get to heavy hand because we don’t want the cheese to overwhelm the dish.
- Cook for a final 15 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Slice two spring onions for garnish.
Garnish with the spring onion. To finish it off, spoon on a dollop of sour cream.
Want More John? Check out his Homemade Bacon Recipe here