Who remembers Chocolate Caramel Slice? It was a favorite as a kid and still is today! You might have been lucky enough to open your lunch box up to find a piece packed by Mum!
It’s one of those good old fashioned recipes in the true Women’s Weekly and Country Women’s Association vein.
Chocolate Caramel Slice Recipe
There are a number of steps that are required to make your Chocolate Caramel Slice.
You start by creating your biscuit base and then move on to your caramel and chocolate layers.
- ½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 2/3 cup self-raising flour
- 85g (3oz) butter, melted
Caramel Filling Ingredients
- 30g (1.05oz) butter
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 x 395g (14oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 150g (5.3oz) milk or dark chocolate
How To Make Chocolate Caramel Slice
- Preheat oven to 180˚C (360F) or 160˚C (320F) fan-forced.
- Grease and line a 20cm square cake pan with baking paper.
To Make Base
- Stir brown sugar, coconut, and flour together in a large bowl until well combined. Add butter and mix until well combined. Firmly press mixture into pan using the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned and slightly risen. Set base aside to cool for about 20 minutes while making the caramel. Leave oven on.
To Make Caramel Layer
- Place butter and golden syrup in a medium, heavy-based saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- When butter has melted, add condensed milk. Stir constantly over medium heat for about 9-12 minutes, until caramel thickens.
- Gently spread caramel evenly over base.
- Return to oven for a further 10-12 minutes.
- A ½ cm of lightly browned caramel should form around the edges of the slice.
- Allow slice to cool to room temperature.
To Make Topping
- Melt the chocolate in a small saucepan over very low heat, stirring constantly. Spread melted chocolate over caramel.
- Refrigerate slice until chocolate is set, about 30 minutes.
- Remove slice from pan and cut into pieces. Use a hot dry knife to cut the slice.
- Store slice in an airtight container in the fridge.
Want more Wendy?
Her recipes are loved worldwide on the net. They are good old-fashioned favorites. We recommend -:
- Peppermint Slice No-Bake Recipe
- Chocolate Hedgehog Slice Recipe
- Baileys White Chocolate Fudge
- Microwave Chocolate Self Saucing Pudding