Who remembers Chocolate Caramel Slice? It was a favorite as a kid and still is today! You might have been lucky enough to open your lunch box up to find a piece packed by Mum!
It’s one of those good old fashioned recipes in the true Women’s Weekly and Country Women’s Association vein. It’s right up there with the yummiest treats of all time and the great news, so easy!
We were excited when Wendy from Wendy’s Kitchen Table whipped up this recipe and she’s sharing it with us today.
This version has an extra thick biscuit base. Wendy assures us we will love it and one look at the photo and we’re sold!
Want more of the best old fashioned recipes? Did you know the CWA, Country Women’s Association, also known as the birds from the bush, have their own Recipe Book? Yes, a timeless collection of over 130 tried-and-true recipes. Jam Drops and Marble Cake celebrates 60 successful years of the Cookery Competition held by The Land newspaper and the Country Women’s Association of NSW.
Don’t miss out .. Get Your Copy of Jam Drops and Marble Cake, The CWA Recipe Book here
Chocolate Caramel Slice Video Tutorial
We have included a video tutorial that shows you how to make your own Chocolate Caramel Slice. Click Play above to view now ^
Chocolate Caramel Slice Recipe
There are a number of steps that are required to make your Chocolate Caramel Slice. You start by creating your biscuit base and then move on to your caramel and chocolate layers. It really is a very simple recipe. Why not whip up a batch today!
- ½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2/3 cup desiccated coconut
- 2/3 cup self-raising flour
- 85g butter, melted
- 30g butter
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 x 395g can sweetened condensed milk
- 150g milk or dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180˚C or 160˚C fan-forced.
- Grease and line a 20cm square cake pan with baking paper.
To Make Base
- Stir brown sugar, coconut, and flour together in a large bowl until well combined. Add butter and mix until well combined. Firmly press mixture into pan using the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned and slightly risen. Set base aside to cool for about 20 minutes while making the caramel. Leave oven on.
To Make Caramel
- Place butter and golden syrup in a medium, heavy-based saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally. When butter has melted, add condensed milk. Stir constantly over medium heat for about 9-12 minutes, until caramel thickens.
- Gently spread caramel evenly over base. Return to oven for a further 10-12 minutes. A ½ cm of lightly browned caramel should form around the edges of the slice.
- Allow slice to cool to room temperature.
To Make Topping
- Melt the chocolate in a small saucepan over a very low heat, stirring constantly. Spread melted chocolate over caramel.
- Refrigerate slice until chocolate is set, about 30 minutes.
- Remove slice from pan and cut into pieces. Use a hot dry knife to cut the slice.
- Store slice in an airtight container in the fridge.
Want more Wendy? Her recipes are loved worldwide on the net. They are good old-fashioned favorites. We recommend -:
- Caramello No Bake Slice
- Peppermint Slice No Bake Recipe
- Baileys White Chocolate Fudge
- Microwave Chocolate Self Saucing Pudding