Have you heard of Crazy Cake? It’s also referred to as Wacky Cake and Great Depression Cake and you are going to love this super moist, incredibly delicious favorite.
The story is that eggs, butter, and milk were very expensive in the Great Depression and that is why it is eggless, milkless and butterless. No bowls or mixers are even required!
How To Make Crazy Cake Video
Our post includes a number of Crazy Cake versions but while here, we thought we would share a video from Wendy’s Kitchen Table.
She is here to show us how she makes her Grandma’s Great Depression Cake. She has included the recipe and instructions for us below. Click Play above to watch Wendy now ^
Crazy Cake Ingredients
- 1½ cups flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1-teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1-cup water or 1 cup black coffee
Crazy Cake Instructions
- Preheat oven to 180˚C or 160˚C fan-forced. Grease an 8 inch square cake pan.
- Combine flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda and salt in cake pan and stir.
- Create 2 small and 1 large depression in the surface of the dry ingredients. Pour vanilla and vinegar into a small depression and vegetable oil into the large depression.
- Pour water or coffee over surface and stir until batter forms.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Ice with chocolate frosting if desired.
We first came across these Crazy Cakes on Sweet Little Bluebird and Mary is the creator behind them. She assures us that this will be your go-to recipe particularly if you suffer egg and dairy allergies as her daughter does.
It’s a good old-fashioned cake and you will be amazed at the results that are achieved and all from one Baking Pan. It’s sheer genius really and there’s a reason that Mary is receiving worldwide baking kudos!
Whilst the most popular search is Crazy Cake Vanilla, on Mary’s Site she has recipes for Crazy Carrot Cake, Crazy Lemon Cake, Crazy Chocolate Mint Cake and a Chocolate and Kahlua Crazy Cake for you to try.
You will also find this incredibly yummy Crazy Cake In A Mug that Mary’s followers totally rave about it. You can visit Mary of Sweet Little Bluebird here