Everyone loves Crazy Cake and it certainly comes with some history. This was the ‘go to’ recipe for the Great Depression.
Have you heard of Crazy Cake?
It’s also referred to as Wacky Cake and Great Depression Cake and you are going to love this super moist cake.
The story is that eggs, butter, and milk were very expensive in the Great Depression so this recipe that is eggless, milkless and butterless was born. No bowls or mixers are required.
The Blogger, Mary of ‘Sweet Little Bluebird’ assures us that this will be your go-to recipe particularly if you suffer egg and dairy allergies as her daughter does.
Back in the day when ingredients were hard to come by, you had to be creative and so, the Crazy Cake was born.
In a nutshell, it’s a good old-fashioned cake and it’s one you need to make! You will be amazed at the results and all from one Baking Pan, it’s sheer genius really!
Crazy Cake In A Mug via Sweet Little Bluebird
The most popular searches are Crazy Cake Vanilla but on Mary’s Site she has recipes for Crazy Carrot Cake, Crazy Lemon Cake, Crazy Chocolate Mint Cake and a Chocolate and Kahlua Crazy Cake for you to try.
How To Make Crazy Cake Video
Wendy from Wendy’s Kitchen table has made a short video that will step you through the process. You’ll love just how easy this cake is to make. To view click Play above ^
- 1½ cups flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1-teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1-cup water or 1 cup black coffee
Crazy Cake Instructions
- Preheat oven to 180˚C or 160˚C fan-forced. Grease an 8 inch square cake pan.
1. Combine flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda and salt in cake pan and stir.
- 2.Create 2 small and 1 large depression in the surface of the dry ingredients. Pour vanilla and vinegar into a small depression and vegetable oil into the large depression.
- 3.Pour water or coffee over surface and stir until batter forms.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Ice with chocolate frosting if desired.
You will find a range of Crazy Cakes on Mary’s Site. You will find cupcakes, all the different flavors plus she even has a Crazy Cake In A Mug. You can get all the recipes here
Want More? We have another very popular version and that’s the Crazy Banana Cake below. You can check out the details here