Any cake that has been around for decades has to be a great one. This Great Depression Cake certainly is a keeper!
Simple ingredients and unique flavors make it a quick and easy dessert that you’ll love. Wendy of Wendy’s Kitchen Table is sharing her recipe and she also has a video to step you through the process.
Great Depression Cake Ingredients
- 1½ cups flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1-cup water or 1 cup black coffee
Great Depression Cake Video Tutorial
This quick video tutorial shows you how to put this easy cake together from start to finish!
Wendy gives you some great tips along the way, and you can get the directions below. Click Play above ^
advertisement - keep scrolling
Depression Cake Instructions
- Preheat oven to 180˚C or 160˚C fan-forced. Grease an 8-inch square cake pan.
- Combine flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda and salt in a cake pan and stir.
- Create 2 small and 1 large depression on the surface of the dry ingredients. Pour vanilla and vinegar into a small depression and vegetable oil into the large depression.
- Pour water or coffee over the surface and stir until batter forms.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
- Ice with chocolate frosting if desired.
Want more Wendy? Check out all her recipes here