You can choose to make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free flour or even make beer batter fish by replacing the soda water in the ingredient list with beer. You can also season it to your liking, and even get creative with your favorite spices! All you need equipment-wise are a couple pots, a bowl, a cooking thermometer and a slotted spoon!
John has included a video that will step you through the process plus you will find the written instructions below. To watch, click Play above ^
Classic Fish and Chips Method
1. First, peel your potatoes.
2. Now fill a large bowl with cold water. You’ll be adding your potatoes into here soon. This will help get rid of some of the starch, which will make for crispy fries!
3. Slice your potatoes into thirds lengthwise, then cut each slice into thirds lengthwise again. This method will give you nice, homestyle-type fries.
4. Place your potatoes in the cold water and mix them up using your hands to get rid of the starch.
5. Now move your potatoes into a medium to large size pot. Over medium heat, bring the water to a boil. Once the potatoes are soft enough to easily prick with a fork, drain the water from the pot using a colander.
6. Put some paper towels on a baking tray and place the boiled potato slices on top. Lay them out so they are flat, and place them in the fridge for an hour to overnight.
7. Now you’ll make your batter. In a large mixing bowl, add 1 cup flour, 1 cup soda water or beer, 1/2 tbsp baking powder and 1 tbsp honey. Whisk the batter briskly to break up any clumps. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Now you’re going to fry your chips. Fill a pan halfway up with oil (canola oil was used in the video), and heat it to about 350 Fahrenheit or 175 Celsius.
9. Now you’ll add your potato slices. Add them to the pot in small batches, so as to not overcrowd the oil and cause spills or bubbling over.
10. Once the potatoes are crisp on the outside, take them out from the oil using a slotted spoon. Lay fries out on a paper towel to cool.
11. Now you’ll fry your fish. Add some flour into a bowl or plate and coat each filet in it before dipping it into your prepared batter, being sure to fully coat it.
12. Slowly and carefully put the fish into the oil, being sure to lay it away from yourself so you don’t splash yourself with hot oil. Fry your fish for 4-5 minutes or until the batter is golden brown and crispy.
13. Remove the fish from the oil and let it drain on some paper towel.
How good do these Cream Puffs look? They're a classic dessert that we know you'll love to try. A traditional Chou Pastry Shell, filled with a creamy centre and they are super simple to make. Watch the video now!
Are you on hunt for the KFC Chicken Recipe? We have found a brilliant copycat version that has the famous crunch and even the edge on the original. You are going to love this delicious version and we have the list of the 11 secret herbs and spices. Find out what they are now.
If you want the best Spanakopita aka Greek Filo Spinach Pie Recipe, this is the least complicated that gets rave reviews from our community. We made this and it's simply delicious! We have a quick video to show you how.
This Baileys Irish Cream White Chocolate Fudge is absolutely delicious and only uses 4 ingredients. It makes the perfect gift and we have included a video that shows you how. This is a must make for any time of the year and it couldn't be easier. It gets rave reviews too!
Learn the secret to making creamy, dreamy, Salted Caramel Fudge with this very easy and super popular recipe that you will love. You only need a handful of ingredients and we have a video to show you how.
Make a Raspberry Cream Cheese Danish and turn it into a candy cane for the Holidays. This is the ultimate sweet treat that can be enjoyed any time. We have the recipe and video tutorial to show you how. View now.
WHOot Contributor Ella is sharing these delicious Apple French Toast Roll-Ups and they are yum diddly scrum! This is a simple recipe that is perfect for desserts or any tiime at all. We have a quick video to show you how.