You can choose to make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free flour or even make beer batter fish by replacing the soda water in the ingredient list with beer. You can also season it to your liking, and even get creative with your favorite spices! All you need equipment-wise are a couple pots, a bowl, a cooking thermometer and a slotted spoon!
John has included a video that will step you through the process plus you will find the written instructions below. To watch, click Play above ^
Classic Fish and Chips Method
1. First, peel your potatoes.
2. Now fill a large bowl with cold water. You’ll be adding your potatoes into here soon. This will help get rid of some of the starch, which will make for crispy fries!
3. Slice your potatoes into thirds lengthwise, then cut each slice into thirds lengthwise again. This method will give you nice, homestyle-type fries.
4. Place your potatoes in the cold water and mix them up using your hands to get rid of the starch.
5. Now move your potatoes into a medium to large size pot. Over medium heat, bring the water to a boil. Once the potatoes are soft enough to easily prick with a fork, drain the water from the pot using a colander.
6. Put some paper towels on a baking tray and place the boiled potato slices on top. Lay them out so they are flat, and place them in the fridge for an hour to overnight.
7. Now you’ll make your batter. In a large mixing bowl, add 1 cup flour, 1 cup soda water or beer, 1/2 tbsp baking powder and 1 tbsp honey. Whisk the batter briskly to break up any clumps. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Now you’re going to fry your chips. Fill a pan halfway up with oil (canola oil was used in the video), and heat it to about 350 Fahrenheit or 175 Celsius.
9. Now you’ll add your potato slices. Add them to the pot in small batches, so as to not overcrowd the oil and cause spills or bubbling over.
10. Once the potatoes are crisp on the outside, take them out from the oil using a slotted spoon. Lay fries out on a paper towel to cool.
11. Now you’ll fry your fish. Add some flour into a bowl or plate and coat each filet in it before dipping it into your prepared batter, being sure to fully coat it.
12. Slowly and carefully put the fish into the oil, being sure to lay it away from yourself so you don’t splash yourself with hot oil. Fry your fish for 4-5 minutes or until the batter is golden brown and crispy.
13. Remove the fish from the oil and let it drain on some paper towel.
We are all guilty of yelling whether it's at each other or the kids. The damage that is done is enormous and often is in vain. Learn the way that you can get the kids (or even your partner) to do as you ask without yelling! Save your voice and your sanity with these clever tips that really work. Grab your pinnable chart now.
Learn the secret to making creamy, dreamy, Salted Caramel Fudge with this very easy and super popular recipe that you will love. You only need a handful of ingredients and we have a video tutorial to show you how.
You will love this good old fashioned favorite. This Weetbix Slice made from the famous breakfast cereal has a cult following and it is legendary! It's so yummy and a great use for those bits of Weetbix flakes at the bottom of the packet. Wendy is in the house to show us how. Watch the video tutorial now.