You can choose to make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free flour or even make beer batter fish by replacing the soda water in the ingredient list with beer. You can also season it to your liking, and even get creative with your favorite spices! All you need equipment-wise are a couple pots, a bowl, a cooking thermometer and a slotted spoon!
John has included a video that will step you through the process plus you will find the written instructions below. To watch, click Play above ^
Classic Fish and Chips Method
1. First, peel your potatoes.
2. Now fill a large bowl with cold water. You’ll be adding your potatoes into here soon. This will help get rid of some of the starch, which will make for crispy fries!
3. Slice your potatoes into thirds lengthwise, then cut each slice into thirds lengthwise again. This method will give you nice, homestyle-type fries.
4. Place your potatoes in the cold water and mix them up using your hands to get rid of the starch.
5. Now move your potatoes into a medium to large size pot. Over medium heat, bring the water to a boil. Once the potatoes are soft enough to easily prick with a fork, drain the water from the pot using a colander.
6. Put some paper towels on a baking tray and place the boiled potato slices on top. Lay them out so they are flat, and place them in the fridge for an hour to overnight.
7. Now you’ll make your batter. In a large mixing bowl, add 1 cup flour, 1 cup soda water or beer, 1/2 tbsp baking powder and 1 tbsp honey. Whisk the batter briskly to break up any clumps. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Now you’re going to fry your chips. Fill a pan halfway up with oil (canola oil was used in the video), and heat it to about 350 Fahrenheit or 175 Celsius.
9. Now you’ll add your potato slices. Add them to the pot in small batches, so as to not overcrowd the oil and cause spills or bubbling over.
10. Once the potatoes are crisp on the outside, take them out from the oil using a slotted spoon. Lay fries out on a paper towel to cool.
11. Now you’ll fry your fish. Add some flour into a bowl or plate and coat each filet in it before dipping it into your prepared batter, being sure to fully coat it.
12. Slowly and carefully put the fish into the oil, being sure to lay it away from yourself so you don’t splash yourself with hot oil. Fry your fish for 4-5 minutes or until the batter is golden brown and crispy.
13. Remove the fish from the oil and let it drain on some paper towel.
This Lemon Icebox Cake Recipe has been an internet sensation and it's NO BAKE and easy to make. We have a quick video to show you how to make this dreamy, creamy dessert that will be a new family favorite.
We've rounded up our Best Banana Recipes and you can choose from all the top Pinterest Pins including this hugely popular Caramel Banana Cake Roll that is unbelievably delicious. Check out all our handpicked favorites now.
Make your own Buttermilk from 2 simple ingredients. This is one of the best kitchen tips and you'll never run out again. It takes 10 minutes and you can even freeze. Never buy store bought again. Watch the quick ideo now!
Cool Whip is a favorite ingredient in so many recipes. Now you can make your own version with only 2 simple ingredients that is so much healthier. Save time and money and never buy store bought again. Watch the quick video now.
This 5 Minute Artisan Bread is the traditional Farmhouse European recipe and it will blow your mind. You won't believe how easy it is and you get that beautiful golden crispy bakery crust that's soft and fluffy on the inside. It's No Knead and ready the same day.
Cooking Extracts can be so expensive to buy but we show you how to make them at home for a fraction of the price and it couldn't be easier. We even have a video to step you through the process. See how to make your favourite flavours including Vanilla Extract now.
It's the famous 4 Ingredient No Bake Vanilla Slice recipe that has taken the world by storm and now you can make your own incredibly delicious custard slice. We've included a video tutorial too. Don't miss this easy and incredibly yummy recipe. It's a prize winner for sure!
Known as the best ever chocolate flourless cake, it's moist inside with a crackly top. It's also light as air to eat. Everyone is going mad for this 4 ingredient recipe and we have a video tutorial to show you how. Check it out now.