You can choose to make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free flour or even make beer batter fish by replacing the soda water in the ingredient list with beer. You can also season it to your liking, and even get creative with your favorite spices! All you need equipment-wise are a couple pots, a bowl, a cooking thermometer and a slotted spoon!
John has included a video that will step you through the process plus you will find the written instructions below. To watch, click Play above ^
Classic Fish and Chips Method
1. First, peel your potatoes.
2. Now fill a large bowl with cold water. You’ll be adding your potatoes into here soon. This will help get rid of some of the starch, which will make for crispy fries!
3. Slice your potatoes into thirds lengthwise, then cut each slice into thirds lengthwise again. This method will give you nice, homestyle-type fries.
4. Place your potatoes in the cold water and mix them up using your hands to get rid of the starch.
5. Now move your potatoes into a medium to large size pot. Over medium heat, bring the water to a boil. Once the potatoes are soft enough to easily prick with a fork, drain the water from the pot using a colander.
6. Put some paper towels on a baking tray and place the boiled potato slices on top. Lay them out so they are flat, and place them in the fridge for an hour to overnight.
7. Now you’ll make your batter. In a large mixing bowl, add 1 cup flour, 1 cup soda water or beer, 1/2 tbsp baking powder and 1 tbsp honey. Whisk the batter briskly to break up any clumps. Season with salt and pepper.
8. Now you’re going to fry your chips. Fill a pan halfway up with oil (canola oil was used in the video), and heat it to about 350 Fahrenheit or 175 Celsius.
9. Now you’ll add your potato slices. Add them to the pot in small batches, so as to not overcrowd the oil and cause spills or bubbling over.
10. Once the potatoes are crisp on the outside, take them out from the oil using a slotted spoon. Lay fries out on a paper towel to cool.
11. Now you’ll fry your fish. Add some flour into a bowl or plate and coat each filet in it before dipping it into your prepared batter, being sure to fully coat it.
12. Slowly and carefully put the fish into the oil, being sure to lay it away from yourself so you don’t splash yourself with hot oil. Fry your fish for 4-5 minutes or until the batter is golden brown and crispy.
13. Remove the fish from the oil and let it drain on some paper towel.
Mary Berry of BBC Food Fame has a legendary Hot Cross Bun Recipe and you won't want to miss it. Her traditional buns are packed with fruit and spices and are better than anything you will buy in the store. We have a quick video to show you how. View now.
We've rounded up the most popular Slow Cooker Meals including this 3 Ingredient Apricot Chicken. The main criteria were simple and short ingredient lists and delicious flavors. You will be thrilled with what we've selected for you. We also have 40 crockpot meals in 4 hours. Learn how to Pre-make a month's worth of freezable meals. View now.
Need a Chocolate hit? These Four Ingredient Nutella Brownies are fudgy, rich and chewy and you will love them. They are super easy and ready in a heartbeat. We have the recipe and quick video to show you how. View now.
If you love your bread, you won't be able to wait to try this healthiest bread in the world recipe from the famous Dr. Eric Berg. This recipe has gone viral and it's Gluten Free and Flour Free and tastes great. Get the recipe now and watch the quick video tutorial while you're here.
The perfect sweet treat, these delicious Lemon Mousse Cheesecake Cups are no-bake and easy to make. You will fall head over spoon for this recipe that comes to us from WHOot favorite, Gail. Don't miss this popular recipe.
This Spinach Quiche is sheer perfection and according to the Creator, it's fail and foolproof. This recipe will become a new favorite and it can be made ahead and tastes great cold. We have the recipe and a video to show you how.
We have put together the ULTIMATE EGG GUIDE to show you how to cook every egg under the sun the perfect way! Soft and dippy, hard, scrambled or sunny side up .. all the times and tips are included. This has loads of amazing info. Watch the video that has 14 EGGcellent tips too!
Learn how to make your own Fool-Proof French Baguettes at home from 4 Ingredients. This recipe has been an Internet sensation and now you can make it yourself! Be sure to watch the excellent video tutorial now.
You only need one pound of ground beef (500 grams) to whip up 4 quick, easy and delicious recipes and we guarantee you are going to love them. These budget-friendly dinners pack a flavor punch and will be your new favorites. Watch the quick video now.