advertisement - content continues below
Many of our favorite recipes call for Condensed Milk as an ingredient but we have all been caught short when we are baking.
The best part about making your own version is that there’s no hidden preservatives and you know what you are consuming.
Homemade is always best and it’s so much more fun knowing that you have whipped it up in your own kitchen too.
How To Make Condensed Milk Video Tutorial
We have included a youtube video from Gemma Stafford who shows you how to make your own Condensed Milk.
Her recipe uses 2 simple ingredients. She assures us you won’t be able to tell the difference from store bought. Click Play above ^
Homemade Condensed Milk Ingredients
- 2 cups full fat milk or low fat milk
- ⅔ cups white sugar
Instructions For Making Condensed Milk
- In a heavy based saucepan add your milk and sugar
- On a low heat gently stir until sugar is full dissolved in milk.
- Simmer on a low-medium heat. Don’t stir when simmering.
- Simmer on gentle heat for 35-40 minutes until milk changes to a dark grey color and thickens and reduces by half.
- Skim off any foam that forms on top of mixture with a spoon.
- Remove from heat and pour into your jar. Any left over sugary pieces that may be around the rim of your pot must not be included. They can crack your mix.
- Cool your Condensed Milk completely prior to popping on your airtight lid.
- Label your jar and pop it in the fridge. It will last for months according to Gemma.
Gemma’s Condensed Milk Tips:
- Gemma says that you can use your homemade condensed milk as an excellent substitute to eggs. This works especially well with cakes and cupcakes.
- You can use this for rice pudding too.
- Always use the condensed milk at room temperature when baking.