If you think that this Crazy Banana Cake looks good, you are right. Our resident Contributor, Wendy from Wendy’s Kitchen Table says this cake is so moist it is unbelievable.
She says the secret is the cake is cooked at a low temperature and then put in the freezer locking the moisture in.
Crazy Banana Cake Ingredients
This recipe is ideal for your particularly over-ripe bananas so be sure that you don’t throw them out. Here’s what you will need.
- 1 ½ cups very ripe bananas (4)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 cups flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 165g butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 ½ cups buttermilk (OR milk soured with one tbsp vinegar or lemon juice)
Crazy Banana Cake Video Tutorial
At this time, Wendy does not have a video for her Crazy Banana Cake but we have located one on Youtube that makes this very recipe. Click Play above to watch now ^
Cream Cheese Icing Ingredients
- 100g softened butter
- 250g cream cheese, room temp.
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 3 cups icing sugar
Crazy Banana Cake Instructions
- Pre-heat oven to 140˚C or 120˚C fan-forced. Spray and line a 28cm x 23cm cake pan.
- Mash banana and mix with lemon juice and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- If you’re making your own buttermilk, combine milk and vinegar (or lemon juice) in a small bowl, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in vanilla.
- Beat in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Stir in bananas.
- Pour into cake pan and bake for 1 hour – 1hour 15 minutes (or until knife comes out clean, checking every 5 minutes). Mine took 1 hr and 15 mins exactly.
- Immediately place in freezer for 45 minutes. (If not cool upon removal from freezer, let cool further before icing).
Cream Cheese Icing
- Cream butter and cream cheese.
- Beat in vanilla and icing sugar on low until combined, then high until smooth.
- Frost cake and enjoy!
- Want more Wendy? Check out all her recipes here