We eat a lot of bread in our home and recently we have discovered the amazing flavor that is Olive Bread. It gives you a real taste of Europe and we love it with a Skordalia which is a super yummy potato and garlic dip. Beetroot Dip is perfect with it too.
It is perfectly delicious on its own of course but it’s a nice change to serve up to family and friends. There’s a reason that more and more are turning to the Mediterranean Diet as a way of life and when there are wholesome foods like this, who can blame them?
Homemade Olive Bread Ingredients
- 4 cups (500g) bread flour
- 1 tsp (5g) salt
- 25g fresh yeast (or 2 ¼ tsp active dry yeast)
- ½ tsp (2g) garlic powder
- 1 tsp (1g) rosemary
- 1 ½ tsp (3g) chili flakes
- Fresh thyme leaves
- ⅔ cup (92 g) green olives, pitted – drained and chopped
- ⅔ cup (92 g) black olives, pitted – drained and chopped
- 1 1 /2 cups (360 ml) water
How To Make Olive Bread Video Tutorial
We have included a video tutorial from Home Cooking Adventures and we know that you will love to follow along. The instructions are very concise and you will be most inspired to whip up your own Olive Bread at home. We have listed their recipe below.
We highly recommend that you view the video so that you can achieve the perfect result. Click Play above ^
How To Make Olive Bread Method
1. In a large bowl mix flour with salt, garlic powder, rosemary, chilli flakes and fresh thyme leaves.
2. Dissolve the fresh yeast in ½ cup (120ml) water and add to the flour mixture. Add the rest of 1 cup (240ml) water and start kneading the dough until pulls away from the sides of the bowl.
3. Add olives and knead more until incorporated. Grease with olive oil a clean bowl, transfer the dough and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rest for 2.5 hours at room temperature until tripled in size.
4. On a floured surface flatten the dough into an oval shape and start rolling one edge inward it. Roll and turn upside down and shape it into a ball. Sprinkle flour and cornmeal over a clean towel, add the dough and cover. Let rise for another 30-45 minutes.
5. Meanwhile turn the oven to 470F (240C) and add a 9 inch (23cm) round iron cast pan inside without the lid. Leave it in the oven for about 30-45 minutes until the dough rise in the towel.
6. Remove the iron cast pan from the oven, turn the dough into the pan and put the lid on. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 470F (240C) with the lid on to create steam.
7. Remove the lid and bake for another 20 minutes at 440F (230C) to let the bread get some crispy golden brown crust.
8. Let it cool completely before cutting the bread.