There’s a reason that so many are going low carb. The benefits are numerous including you don’t suffer the huge carb crashes that come with eating food that makes you lethargic and sleepy.
Potatoes are so delicious and something that you may feel you could never give up. There is little that is better than dreamy, creamy mashed potatoes. Today we show you how to make Mashed Cauliflower that is so much healthier and also low carb.
Mashed Cauliflower Recipe Video Tutorial
Dot is here from Dot2Trot to show us how to make her delicious low carb Mashed Cauliflower Recipe and we promise that you are going to love it. She has some clever tips and tricks too. We have outlined the recipe below and highly recommend that you view her video. Click Play above to watch now ^
Cauliflower Mash Ingredients
- 1 head cauliflower, about 6” in diameter
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 oz unsalted butter
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
- 1-2 pinches of ground nutmeg to taste (or other seasoning of choice)
1. Steam cauliflower until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
2. Working quickly, drain the cauliflower of liquid in a colander. To drain additional liquid, place cooked (and hot!) cauliflower on a layers of paper towels. Use 3 additional layers and gently press the cauliflower to drain additional liquid. Be sure to protect your hands as the cauliflower is hot.
3. Quickly place the cauliflower (still hot) in a food processor. As you begin to puree the cauliflower, add in the egg yolks and butter. If you prefer a chunky mash, you can use a stick blender instead of the food processor or mash and mix the ingredients by hand to desired consistency.
The key is working the cauliflower while still hot so its heat cooks the egg yolks. If you are worried about undercooked eggs, just pop the mash into the oven at 350 for 5-10 minutes.
4. Add in salt and pepper to taste.
5. Mix the nutmeg (or seasoning of choice) into your cauliflower mash. Serve immediately.
Add a bit more healthy fat to your mash by adding grated cheese on top and running the mash under the broiler for a few minutes.