When it comes to baking, WHOot contributor Phoodie knows exactly what she’s doing! When we discovered this Passionfruit Melting Moments Shortbreads Recipe, we had to share.
A unique combination of passionfruit cream sandwiched between buttery shortbread cookies makes these a real treat.
You’ll begin with the shortbread cookies and then put together the filling using fresh passionfruit and icing sugar.
Phoodie says they also turn out great with other fruit fillings like lemon, strawberry jam and even just plain vanilla icing is sensational! Add a dash of powdered sugar on top!
Passionfruit Melting Moments Ingredients
Makes 8 Large Melting Moment Sandwiches (16 single biscuits) or 16 Small ones (32 single biscuits) If you need to convert ingredients, you can use an online converter here
- 175g salted butter softened
- ¼ cup icing sugar sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 cup plain flour, sifted
- ¼ cup cornflour sifted
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1.5 passionfruit – juice and pulp
- 60g salted butter softened
Passionfruit Melting Moments Instructions
1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
2) Using an electric mixer, mix the butter, icing sugar and vanilla on medium speed for 8 minutes. You want this to cream up nicely and become a pale color.
3) Turn the mixer off and sift in the flour and cornflour. Turn the mixer back on to medium and mix until dough forms. Approx 10 more mins.
4) To make the larger sized biscuits, roll heaped tablespoons of dough into balls and place 3cm apart on a baking tray. Before baking, flatten each ball with a fork.
5) Bake biscuits for approx 10 mins until lightly golden edges appear. Remove from oven and cool on a cooling rack.
6) To make the filling, place all ingredients in the cleaned electric mixer bowl and beat until light and fluffy. Approximately 8 minutes.
7) Generously spoon buttercream filling onto the cooled biscuits, one at a time and top off with another biscuit as a lid.
Store nicely for 3 days in an airtight container.