Years ago blogger Nicole Cody was traveling through the remote Australian Outback when she stopped to refuel at a roadhouse in the middle of nowhere.
Once inside, she smelt the aroma of what would be the best coffee she has had. The pot of coffee was made by an Italian woman, using the old method of a stovetop espresso machine.
The woman’s son offered her a cup, along with something else – you guessed it – this Sicilian Lemon, Ricotta, Almond Cake.
Although the woman and her husband spoke little English, she managed to get the recipe from them. Nicole wrote it on the back of an old envelope and it’s a recipe she uses to this day.
Lemon, Ricotta, Almond Cake Ingredients
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 3 large eggs (or 4 small)
- Grated zest of 3 large lemons
- 2 and 1/2 cups almond meal
- 3/4 cup sugar (1/2 cup if you are not a sweet tooth)
- 1/3 cup flaked almonds
- Optional but good – 2 tablespoons of limoncello
- grated zest of one large lemon
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
Nicole used ground whole organic almonds – the texture is still a little coarse, and the skins give a good flavor and texture.
How To Make Lemon Ricotta Almond Cake
Preheat oven to 160°C/140°C fan-forced. Grease and line base of a 20 cm deep round cake pan with baking paper.
1) Place ricotta, eggs, zest, almond meal, and sugar in a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat until smooth. This only takes a minute or so. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle evenly with almonds. Bake for 55 minutes, or until cooked through.
2) Meanwhile, combine lemon juice, zest, and extra sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar dissolves. Simmer for 5 minutes.
3) Use a fine skewer to poke some holes in the top of the cake. Pour limoncello over cake and then half the hot syrup. Keep extra syrup aside for serving. The syrup will thicken as it cools. Leave the cake to stand in the tin until cold. (unless serving warm – obviously!)
4) Serve warm or cold, with vanilla ice-cream, natural yogurt and a drizzle of extra syrup. Nicole is a big fan of coconut yogurt with this cake. That’s what is in the pictures above.
More Recipes By Nicole
- Nana’s Best Ever Coffee Cake
- Nicole’s Tropical Pie
- Blueberry Crumble Slice
- Coconut Ice Recipe
- Prize Winning Date Loaf