We recently had a girls lunch and decided to make a Greek Spinach Pie aka Spanokapita Recipe. To say it was a hit is an understatement. It was moist and delicious and perfect with salads.
We included classic potato, sweet pumpkin, beetroot and feta and a classic Greek Salad on our table.
The issue for many when it comes to the traditional Spanakopita Recipe is that it can be labor intensive and require a lot of prepping.
Today we share a Spanakopita Recipe, that whilst you need to adhere to a few golden rules, is incredibly easy.
The Creator, Dimitra, says it is her Moms and hands down better than anything she has ever tried. She also doesn’t pre cook the ingredients. She also recommends against low fat substitutes.
Spanakopita Recipe Video Tutorial
Dimitra stresses that you must not remove your Filo from its packaging until the last minute. She suggests defrosting to room temperature in your fridge. For the last couple of hours leave it out but do not remove from air tight packaging. The Baking tray Dimitra used for this Spanakopita Recipe is 18″ x 13″ x 1″.
We have outlined the ingredients below for you but given that it there are a few important tips that will ensure you get the best possible result. Click Play above ^
Spanakopita Recipe Ingredients
- 1 pack Filo dough, at room temperature
- 1 pound baby spinach, chopped
- 2 bunches fresh dill, finely chopped or 3 heaping teaspoons dried dill
- about 6 scallions, thinly sliced
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese, full fat and at room temperature
- 1 pound feta cheese, crumbled
- 3 eggs, beaten and at room temperature
- about 2 cups olive oil, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper, or to taste
- printable recipe on Dimitra’s Dishes
To find out how to make a Spiral Spanakopita, view our recipe here.