This Spinach Spanakopita Spiral Recipe is a Greek pastry dish that has long been a Phoodie.
We recently shared a very easy Spanakopita Pie and it was a huge hit. Well today, this Spiral version is going to knock your socks off!
Aside from tasting amazing, this Spiral Spanakopita is the ultimate comfort meal or for when friends drop in for a casual get together.
The great part about this recipe is that Phoodie has added her own twist. She’s made it extra cheesy and strayed from tradition. We guarantee though that you’ll be happy she did.
Spinach Spanakopita Spiral Ingredients
- 300g (10.5oz) baby spinach
- 200g (7oz) feta cheese
- 200g (7oz) tasty cheese
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper – a solid pinch of both (depending on your taste!)
- 4 sheets filo pastry per log (I typically make 3 logs which makes approx. a 35 cm diameter pie) So for me, 12 sheets filo is needed
- Sesame seeds
- 150g (5.3oz) butter
Spinach Spanakopita Spiral Method
Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius, 360F.
1) In a bowl combine the spinach, feta, tasty cheese, eggs, and salt and pepper and mix well.
2) Transfer mix to a food processor and pulse until chunky consistency is reached (ALTERNATIVELY, if you cook down the spinach – in a couple of tablespoons of water on the stovetop, and drain – and THEN mix it with all of the other ingredients, you won’t need to pulse it.)
3) Melt the butter and using a pastry brush grease the pan.
4) To make the first log, slightly (i.e. by about 10cm) overlap two sheets of filo (as per picture below). Dab some butter on top of them and then repeat; i.e use another 2 sheets on top of the existing two sheets and dab with butter.
5) As per the image below, take 1/3 of the spinach mixture and lay it along the edge of the pastry in a log shape. Gently roll pastry forward to form a sealed log and then curl the log upon itself to form a spiral. Place spiral into a dish.
6) Repeat the process for the second and third logs, wrapping them around the existing spiral to enlarge the main spiral. (See pictures for guidance)
7) Use the remaining butter to brush the top of the pie generously and then top with sesame seeds.
8) Bake in the oven until dark golden and crispy, about 30 minutes, but will depend greatly on the oven being used – keep an eye on it!
If you loved this recipe, chances are you’ll love all of Phoodie’s no-fuss, incredible dishes! Check out a couple she has shared with us below.
More Famous Phoodie Recipes To Try
Be sure to Follow Phoodie on Facebook.