Spanakopita, a Greek pastry dish, has long been a favorite of WHOot recipe contributor Phoodie.
Just looking over her recipes you’ll see she has an extra-cheesy version of Spanakopita, a traditional version and a cheat’s version. But today she is sharing her very popular spiral version with us!
Although many people claim that Spanakopita isn’t truly authentic with cheese, we’re with Phoodie when she says to BRING ON THE CHEESE! Aside from tasting amazing, this Spiral Spanakopita looks beautiful and pairs well with dip or on its own.
Spinach Spanakopita Spiral Ingredients
- 300g baby spinach
- 200g feta cheese
- 200g tasty cheese
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper – a solid pinch of both (depending on your taste!)
- 4 sheets filo pastry per log (I typically make 3 logs which makes approx. a 35 cm diameter pie) So for me, 12 sheets filo is needed
- Sesame seeds
- 150g butter
Spinach Spanakopita Spiral Method
PREHEAT THE OVEN TO 180 deg. cel.
1) In a bowl combine the spinach, feta, tasty cheese, eggs and salt and pepper and mix well.
2) Transfer mix to a food processor and pulse until chunky consistency is reached (ALTERNATIVELY, if you cook down the spinach – in a couple of tablespoons of water on the stovetop, and drain – and THEN mix it with all of the other ingredients, you won’t need to pulse it.)
3) Melt the butter and using a pastry brush grease the pan.
4) To make the first log, slightly (i.e. by about 10cm) overlap two sheets of filo (as per picture below). Dab some butter on top of them and then repeat; i.e use another 2 sheets on top of the existing two sheets and dab with butter.
5) As per the image below, take 1/3 of the spinach mixture and lay it along the edge of the pastry in a log shape. Gently roll pastry forward to form a sealed log and then curl the log upon itself to form a spiral. Place spiral into a dish.
6) Repeat the process for the second and third logs, wrapping them around the existing spiral to enlarge the main spiral. (See pictures for guidance)
7) Use the remaining butter to brush the top of the pie generously and then top with sesame seeds.
8) Bake in the oven until dark golden and crispy, about 30 minutes, but will depend greatly on the oven being used – keep an eye on it!
If you loved this recipe, chances are you’ll love all of Phoodie’s no-fuss, incredible dishes! Check out a couple she has shared with us below, and see how to connect with her on social!
More Famous Phoodie Recipes To Try
Be sure to Follow Phoodie on Facebook.