Our friends at Foodiful have done it again! Today they are sharing with us another of their show-stopping desserts that we know you are going to love. It’s another of those good old-fashioned faves.
Their Traditional Vanilla Slice has been another incredibly popular recipe on their site and one look and is all you need to see why!
Traditional French Vanilla Slice Ingredients
- Cooking oil spray, to grease
- 2 sheets store-bought frozen ready-rolled puff pastry, partially thawed
- 100 g white chocolate, melted
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup thickened cream
- 75 g unsalted butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract with seeds
- 150 g caster sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 65 g corn flour
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup (300 g) white fondant icing
- 75 g good-quality dark chocolate, melted
Photo Credit Andre Martin
French Vanilla Slice Instructions
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm square cake tin with cooking oil spray. Line base and sides with baking paper. Put each sheet of puff pastry between 2 pieces of non-stick baking paper, then sandwich between 2 flat oven trays. Bake for 25 minutes or until pastry is deep golden. Cool completely on a wire rack, then brush 1 side of each with melted white chocolate. Cut sheets to fit into the prepared tin and put 1 sheet in the base, chocolate-side up.
- Put milk, cream, butter, and vanilla in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over a medium heat. Meanwhile, put sugar, yolks, and cornflour in a bowl and whisk until light and creamy. Stir in water. Pour in hot milk mixture, stirring well, then return mixture to saucepan over a medium heat and bring to the boil, whisking constantly until a thick custard forms.
- Pour hot custard mixture over pastry and spread to flatten, then put second pastry square on top, chocolate side down. Allow to cool, then cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight, or until firm.
- Put fondant icing in a large heatproof bowl over a saucepan of barely-simmering water for 5 minutes or until warmed and spreadable. Working quickly, spread over top of the slice using a warm palette knife. Put dark chocolate in a small zip-lock bag and snip corner tip. While fondant is still warm, drizzle chocolate in evenly spaced lines, then run a toothpick through lines in a parallel direction to create a feather effect. Set aside for 10 minutes or until firm. Slice into 12 rectangles. Serve.
As mentioned earlier, Foodiful is one of our favorite recipe sites. We thank them for sharing this recipe and if you have enjoyed it, please join their free newsletter and follow them on Facebook too.